The Number of Internet Users in Nigeria was estimated to be about 157.5 million people as of March 2023, which is about 58.8% of Nigeria’s population and Nigeria’s Population was estimated to be about 224,340,358 people in August 2023.
What does this mean to you? 🤔 It means that more than half of the Country’s Population are internet users! They need data on their phones to use the internet. This provides you with a lucrative business opportunity. How about you selling data to these people at cheap rates? Even if it’s just 0.1% of the Internet users in Nigeria that are patronizing you, that’s already 157,500 People. Can you see how lucrative and promising this business is?
Starting a Data Reselling Business in Nigeria is not as difficult as it may seem. You just need a Little Capital, the right plug, and the willingness to Start!
So, if you’re actually serious and really want to know how to start a Data Reselling business in Nigeria, keep reading… Because in this Guide, I’ll explain to you what the business is all about, How it works, how to get started as a Data Reseller, where to get Cheap Data for reselling, How to Brand your Business and create an Emotional connection with your Clients and make people trust you more, I’ll also be teaching you some secret and very effective ways to Market your business and get MORE USERS, MORE CLIENTS, MORE TRANSACTIONS, and MORE MONEY! 🤑😎 So make sure to read everything, in-between lines, because you won’t want to miss any information here.
What is Data Reselling?
Data Reselling involves purchasing data in bulk from telecommunication companies and then reselling smaller portions of that data to end users such as Individuals, Business Owners, and students; at a slightly higher price after adding your Profits.
Have you ever received a message from your bank telling you to Purchase your data subscriptions through their USSD code or on their Mobile App? Or notifications from PalmPay and OPay telling you to purchase through their apps and get Discounts or Cashbacks? That’s one major way they make their money 🤷♂️
This is what they do: They purchase these data bundles in Bulk from telecommunication companies such as MTN, GLO, and Airtel. Just like any other product, when you buy data in Bulk, you’ll be given discounts. So for data bundles that usually costs N300/GB, when they buy in bulk, they can get it for N200/GB. They then come and resell it to their users at N230/GB; that’s a whopping N30 for every 1GB you purchase from them. Imagine the Profits they make every day if they sell out 1,000 GB – That’s a Profit of N30,000 every day!
I believe all your doubts about how profitable the business is have been cleared. Now let’s discuss how you can start your own data reselling business in Nigeria and make profits up to 100k – 200k weekly.
How to Start Data Reselling Business in Nigeria in 2023
Now, this is a very Profitable Business to venture into in Nigeria today because the rate of Internet users is increasing on a daily basis. In fact, DataReportal predicts that there will be 230 million internet users in Nigeria by the year 2030.
But, you also need to know that you can’t be successful in any business without investing your Time, your Money, and without putting your mind to it. So, I’ll start by giving an estimation of how much you’ll need to start a Professional Data reselling Business in Nigeria.
Cost of Starting a data reselling business in Nigeria
To Start a Professional Data Reselling business in Nigeria, you’ll need to strategize and plan on the following:
- Having a Website that your users can register on and get to purchase directly from the site instead of messaging you to make payments and receive their data. You can contact a Web Developer to get your website built, building a Website can cost anywhere from 70k to 200k depending on how you want your Site to be and the Expertise of your developer.
- Consider having a Mobile App that users can download on Google Playstore and Apple Store, it’s not a must but it’ll be helpful to make your platform accessible to more people. Creating a Mobile App will cost about 90k – 250k.
- You should also consider integrating a Payment Processing system into your Website and App so you won’t have to be confirming payments manually, the system will do everything for you and save you so much stress and time.
- Brand your Business: This is a Part of business that some business owners tend to ignore without knowing the numerous benefits of branding your business. Branding a business is not just about getting a Logo, Business Name, or having good graphics, it’s about creating a memorable impression in your customers’ minds and an emotional attachment to your business. When customers are emotionally attached to your business, it makes them stick with you and always choose you over others. Apart from that, Branding, in general, makes people trust your business more and makes you look Professional and reliable. The benefits are way too many! To learn more about Branding and get your business branded, click here.
- Have a Marketing Strategy: For you to get people to patronize your business, you need to market it and promote it to them. No one will know that you sell data at cheap prices if you don’t promote yourself or your business. There are so many ways you can promote your data reselling business: You can Send Broadcast messages to your contacts informing them that you sell data at cheap rates, you can post it on your status, and you can also run adverts on WhatsApp TVs, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
- Have Active Customer Care/Support: Any business that deals with having people making purchases on their Website or App should have customer care/support because customers will always have a problem to complain about or questions to ask. If it’s not about their payment not reflecting, it’ll be that their data is yet to drop, customers must just need to talk to someone about an issue or ask questions concerning things they don’t understand. So having customer care is an integral part of running any successful Data reselling business. This should not cost much, depending on the number of users you have, you can decide to have one or two customer lines with people to always attend to them or you can even do the job yourself.
By now, you might have started getting discouraged and thinking it’s expensive to start a data Reselling business in Nigeria. NO, it’s not! I understand that not everyone will not have the money to build websites or Mobile apps, brand their business or integrate an automated payment system.
You may be a Student just looking for a way to make money to support yourself while schooling, so you can also consider going this route:
- Get a phone number and Register as a Business on WhatsApp
- Get Data Bundles from Telcos in bulk at discounted prices
- Market your Business by Promoting it to your close Friends, Family, and others on your Contact, you can also consider running an Advert on Facebook, Instagram, or WhatsApp TV to get even more clients.
You can later expand as your business grows and as you make profits to become a Professional and branded Business with a website and automated payment systems.
Where and how to get Cheap Data to Resell
One of the Major things to look at when you want to start a data Reselling business in Nigeria is where to Get Cheap data. You don’t have direct access to MTN, GLO, or Airtel. So how can you get data at a Cheaper rate to resell to others? Don’t worry, I’ve made some research and I’ve gathered some Cheap Plugs where you can get Data at a Cheaper price to resell.
1. Club Konnect – (Website: clubkonnect.com)
This is a very Popular Data Reselling Website in Nigeria. In fact, I can boldly say that a good number of Data reselling sites in Nigeria are built on its API. Club Konnect offers data bundles at cheap prices for normal users and it’s even cheaper for resellers buying in bulk. You can easily create a Data Reselling website with Club Konnect’s API and sell Airtime, Data Bundles, Cable TV subscriptions, Electricity bills, and even Printing Recharge Cards and make your Profits for every sale.
2. BoostCard – (Website: boostcard.ng)
BoostCard is another good option for Data Reselling. They offer cheaper prices for resellers and they also have APIs that can be integrated to build other smaller Sites. You can signup for Free and Request to be a data Reseller, when approved, you’ll be given discounts when you want to Buy data bundles in bulk for reselling. They also have Electricity bills, Cable subscriptions, and other Services included in their API.
3. Cheap Data Sales – (Website: cheapdatasales.com)
Cheap Data Sales is a Trusted data reselling website mainly for Data Resellers, it allows anyone to become a Data Reseller on the Platform. They also have API that can be integrated into your Website if you want to have one. They have different rates for Normal users and Resellers, this allows you as a Reseller to get cheap data from them and resell at a slightly higher price to make your own profit.
These are just a few of the Numerous Data Reselling sites with API that allows Data Resellers to get data bundles at cheaper prices for resale. You should not worry about the Technical aspect of API, your Web Developer will handle that for you.
Branding and Marketing your Data Reselling Business
Branding and Marketing are one of the most crucial parts required for any Business to Succeed, online or offline. You can’t successfully run a Business without putting in conscious efforts to Brand and Market your Business. So, in this section, we’ll be taking a Look at the Strategies for Marketing and Branding your Data Reselling business.
Branding your Data Reselling Business
When starting your Data Reselling Business, one thing you should focus on is Branding. This is what Distinguishes your Business from others. This is what will make people trust you. This is what is needed to make your Business Look and feel Professional. Some People ignore it, and some may say “When I’m already successful in the business, then I’ll think of Branding it” Dey What? Dey Play! 🙂😆
So Talking about Branding, what does Business Branding Involve? Let’s dive into it…
- Business Name: Before you start your Data Reselling Business, you should come up with a name for your Business. You can decide to go with a Generic name, but I won’t advise that. What I mean by a generic name is something like “Cheap Data” or “9jaData”. Why don’t I advise it? A generic business name doesn’t provide any unique or memorable characteristics that differentiate your brand from competitors. It might get lost among similar-sounding names in the industry. Also, Building a strong brand identity becomes challenging when your business name doesn’t evoke any specific emotions or associations. It’s harder to create a brand story and image around a generic name. Low perceived value and SEO Challenges are also some reasons why I won’t advise you to use a Generic Business Name. You can try something like “Swift Data”, “Data Haven” or something even more personalized that may include your name, like “Jay Data” or “Jay Connect”. Before choosing a Business name, make sure to check and be sure that there’s no other registered Business using that name or something similar to it.
- After getting a Business Name, the next thing you should think of with respect to branding your business is getting a Logo. Apart from your Business Name, A logo is what will distinguish your business from other businesses. There are many Logo Makers online that you can use to create a Simple logo for your business, but most of them create generic logos that may have been used by many others. I will advise you to hire a Designer to curate a branded logo for your business. A logo is a visual representation of a business’s identity, values, and offerings. It serves as a powerful tool for instant brand recognition and communicates the essence of the business to customers. A well-designed logo conveys professionalism, trustworthiness, and establishes a sense of familiarity, ultimately creating a strong first impression, it ultimately plays a vital role in building a cohesive and lasting brand identity in the minds of customers.
- The next thing you should consider is choosing your Brand Color and Brand style, for better results, a Brand strategist should handle this for you. After that, you should get Fliers and Banners for your Social Media Pages and also website graphics. Make sure to maintain your brand identity throughout all platforms.
- Posting Content, both Text and Graphics (Photos and videos) related to your business on your Social Media Pages is a good way to reach more people and attract new followers which means more users, more sales, and more Money. 🤑 You should post your Fliers, Videos and Reels regularly. Have a dedicated Graphics designer to design fliers for you always. Weekend Fliers, New Week fliers, Happy New Month Fliers, Promotional fliers, etc.
A good example of a Data reselling site that is well-branded and has a good Social Media Presence is N3Data. Take a Look:
I believe you now understand the concept of Business Branding and the role it plays in your Business. You can save yourself Stress and cut down the Cost of Branding your Business by entrusting it to JD Veritas, we got you covered! 😉
In our Branding Packages, we Offer Full Business Branding – We Design your Logo, Business Cards, Social Media graphics, Branded T-Shirt, Video Advert for your Business, all your Basic Promotional fliers, Timeline Fliers (Monday, New Week, Weekend, Friday, etc), Mockups, and many other Incentives that I won’t mention all here.
Marketing Strategy for your data Reselling business
This is one of the most crucial aspect of any business that you can’t neglect if you want to get meaningful profits from your Business. Let’s look into some hidden and proven strategies that can help get you more Users, more Transactions, and obviously more Profits.
- Social Media: There’s no doubt that this is one of the easiest ways to promote your business to a wide range of people. Social media is a great marketing tool that any serious business should not neglect in its marketing. Over 150 million Nigerians use the internet and I can bet that more than 75% of that population use one or two social media platforms. How can you promote your Business on Social media platforms? Share helpful, creative, humorous, and engaging content. Use Texts, Photos, Videos, and Reels. Also, post regularly and Share your Posts to groups where your potential clients could be. Be careful not to Spam any of these groups else you could get banned from the group or even reported to Facebook, which will not be good for your business, always respect Group Rules.
- Blogging is another Good way to get Users and Drive traffic to your website that many people neglect or maybe they’re not aware of. How does this work? 👉🏿 Create a blog on your website and share informative articles about data consumption, smartphone tips, and trends in the telecom industry. This establishes your authority and attracts organic traffic. You can then invite them to Regster on your Website and start purchasing their data bundles from you.
- Email Marketing: Build an email list and send regular updates about new data plans, special offers, and informative content. Personalize emails to enhance customer engagement. This is another lucrative way of promotion that many businesses in Nigeria tend to Neglect. 🤦🏾♂️ This is specifically very effective for businesses with a Blog. Add an Email Subscription form to your Blog posts, once visitors subscribe, you can start sending them useful tips, sharing updates, and new offers, you can then invite them to Register on your Website and subscribe to your Data Plans.
- Community Engagement: You can Participate in online forums, groups, and discussions related to technology, data usage, and mobile devices. Offer valuable insights and subtly promote your services.
- Advertisements: All the marketing strategies I’ve mentioned above are free, but you can also consider running ads. you can’t deny that this is the fastest way to get customers to patronize your business. consider running ads on Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp TVs, etc. You can also Run ads on Google. But note that this is not something you’ll just jump into because you have the money, I’ll advise that you consult an Ad Specialist to guide you so as to get the best out of your Ad Campaigns.
These are some Trusted and Very Effective Marketing strategies that you can use to Promote your Data Reselling business, they have proven to be effective over the years. As you grow, you can also consider Influencer Partnerships, and partnering with other Industrial giants to promote you.
Attracting and Retaining Customers:
- Attractive Data Plans: Without attractive data plans, you’ll not get loyal customers. Offer competitive pricing and diverse data plans that cater to different user needs. Include options for daily, weekly, and monthly plans to suit varying preferences.
- Loyalty Programs: Implement a loyalty program where customers earn rewards or discounts for their continued patronage. This encourages repeat business and enhances customer retention.
- Exceptional Customer Support: Provide prompt and helpful customer support through various channels, including phone, email, and live chat. Solve issues quickly to build trust.
- Value-Added Services: Offer additional services like data rollover, family sharing plans, or data boosters that allow customers to customize their plans according to their usage.
- Referral Programs: You can consider adding a Referral program to your Data reselling business. Encourage satisfied customers to refer friends and family by offering incentives like free data or discounts.
- Engaging Communication: Regularly update customers on new plans, features, and promotions. Maintain an engaging presence on social media to keep customers informed and excited.
- Feedback and Improvement: Actively seek customer feedback and use it to improve your services. Show customers that you value their input.
Remember, building a brand and retaining customers takes time. Consistency in your brand messaging and excellent service are key factors in establishing a strong brand presence and fostering customer loyalty in the data reselling business in Nigeria.
I’ve said a whole lot. It took me much time to research, compose, write, and edit all of these just to show and guide you on how to start a profitable data Reselling business in Nigeria. In conclusion, starting a successful data reselling business in Nigeria requires careful planning and execution. it may be stressful and require investments but it’s worth it, absolutely! 💯✅
Let’s have a brief recap of the main points: Choose a clear and unique business name, Invest in a user-friendly technology setup, and develop a compelling brand identity. Craft a comprehensive marketing strategy that leverages social media, content, influencers, and partnerships. Focus on customer satisfaction through excellent service, loyalty programs, and constant innovation.
As the demand for data continues to rise in Nigeria, aspiring entrepreneurs have an exciting opportunity to tap into a lucrative market. And that’s why I took my time to Research and come up with all of these. Don’t hesitate to take action, implement the steps outlined, and capitalize on this thriving business landscape. Your dedication and strategic approach can lead to a rewarding and successful data reselling venture.
For any questions, you can message me on WhatsApp or Drop your Comment in the Comment Section below and I’ll be glad to help you out. If you found this Guide helpful, don’t forget to react and Drop your comments, it’ll mean a lot to me. I wish you good luck in your Data Reselling Business! 🤗🥰